Icariin

syn. Horny Goat Weed (extract)
syn. Epimedium extract

PERFORMANCE VALIDATION SCORES
Combined 5
Clinical Support Rating 2
Empirical Evidence Rating 3

Description
Icariin is a natural flavonoid compound found in several herbaceous plants of the epimedium species (commonly known Horny Goat Weed).
Epimedium extracts have a long history of use in traditional Chinese medicine, where they have been widely applied to treat erectile dysfunction and increase male libido. They have also been used to treat numerous other medical conditions including cough, asthma, high blood pressure, and heart disease. In sports nutrition, epimedium extracts (standardized for icariin) are promoted to increase male testosterone levels and improve exercise performance. Common sources of icariin specifically include extracts of epimedium sagittatum, epimedium grandiflorum, and epimedium brevicornum.

Modern studies suggest icariin has a broad range of biological activity. For example, animal studies have shown icariin to support erection via a nitric oxide simulating and phosphodiesterase (PDE5) inhibiting effect, similar to the prescription drugs sildendafil and tadalafil.-27.422 Other animal studies have shown icariin to counter some of the negative metabolic effects of stress, specifically reducing levels of cortisol and the inflammatory mediators interleukin-6 (IL-6) and tumor-necrosis-factor alpha (TNF-alpha). This could have a number of positive health implications.
Additionally, icariin seems to possess antioxidant
and bone-strengthening properties. It may also possess some estrogenic activity.42 Studies on the effects of epimedium extracts on serum androgen levels have been conflicting, however, and it is unknown if icariin possesses tangible ergogenic value.

Promoted Benefits
Icariin is promoted to increase testosterone levels and support the anabolic effects of resistance exercise.

Clinical Studies
by animal data only. Its Clinical Support Rating is 2 The use of icariin as a sport supplement is supported
(2/5).

One of the most widely cited studies on icariin examined its effects on sexual function and serum androgen levels in male rats. The experiment involved of drug-induced damage to the reproductive system, followed by supplementation with either icariin (200mg/kg daily) or testosterone (5 mg per day). Icariin was shown to increase serum testosterone levels, and improved other variables including bone resorption and reproductive organ condition in a similar manner as subcutaneous testosterone injection.

Other clinical studies have had conflicting results, however, showing epimedium extracts and icariin to have no effect on serum testosterone levels… No peer reviewed placebo-controlled human studies examining the effects of this supplement on androgen levels or exercise performance have been published. Further research is needed to determine if icariin has testosterone stimulating or ergogenic effects in humans.

Empirical Evidence
Icariin (in the form of standardized epimedium extracts) is widely available as a stand-alone nutritional supplement. The feedback on its use as a sport supplement has been very mixed. A majority of users do seem to report erectile stimulating properties, and icariin supplements (usually marketed as Horny Goat Weed) are commonly used in male aphrodisiac and erectile dysfunction treating supplements. This, however, has not translated into common anecdotal reports of high testosterone elevations or noticeable muscle gain / improved exercise performance. While some users do report such activity, the frequency is too low to consider this a positive trend. Icariin has an Empirical Evidence Rating of 3 (3/5).

Effective Dosage
An effective dosage of this supplement has not been established. Manufacturers commonly recommend 50-200 mg of icariin per day. Note that there are many different extracts of varying purities, which makes evaluating and dosing this supplement somewhat difficult.

Side Effects / Safety
Icariin appeared to be well tolerated during clinical studies, with no significant toxicity or side effects reported.

2 Likes

The clinical and empirical studies vary on both these reports. I am not sure how the empirical is different from clinical studies. I mean clinical is empirical data… i think the “empirical” data they list is more analytical data. Go out ask some questions, and make a finding. There really isn’t proof but more this is what we think. Being a bit of a nerd here. I really hate reports that are trying to use words that they don’t really mean to use but it sounds cool. :joy:. Just a view from a guy who working in data management and those specific reports on a daily basis. :thinking:

3 Likes

So that’s how they score the compound in its effectiveness.

They take the emperial and the clinical scores then add them together

For this compound they only have animal data for clinical no human data which is strange.

The emperial data or evidence lol is that people believe that it works. Its a strange compound in the way that it doesn’t have human clinical studies?? That’s crazy its been around forever they should have a study or 2 somewhere

1 Like

Duh… I read the whole study and missed “animal” only… so. The clinical is Analytical. And empirical is just that. :joy::rofl::joy:. Sometimes I don’t see the Forest through the trees. :rofl::joy:

1 Like

I only know because ive been reading the book so I have seen it multiple times lol
The scores make sense but especially for this one its strange

1 Like

I saw “Horny goat weed” and thought @Dirtnasty was definitely gonna be talked about. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Lol

My first experience with sup was somebody put in beer bong at party when I was in high school why my friend bought something for Ed in hs I guess I’ll never know I was to busy trying to not have randoms to make it harder more often on purpose

1 Like