Cholesterol Isn't the Bad Guy We've made it out to be?

I don’t even know what is really real anymore…

“cholesterol and saturated fat are not the proximate cause of heart disease, it’s oxidation and inflammation. Cholesterol is involved in the repair of the damage to the tissue.”

Mark Sisson on JRE 03.26.21

5 Likes

Very good

It is interesting. So many contradictory studies it’s tough to k ow what to believe. I’ve had high cholesterol since I was 16, so the way I see it that’s my normal though the Doc’s disagree. Who knows?

2 Likes

I was just researching last night on this same subject and was reading about melatonin being a supplement for antioxidation and inflammation. Some studies was comparing melatonin to glutathione.

2 Likes

Cholesterol can be bad if family has history of heart issues otherwise I believe it doesnt say much I’ve been saying this on here

2 Likes

It seems that high Cholesterol doesn’t necessarily need to be mitigated but it’s a great idea to get a CAC score completed every couple years to confirm a plaque build up is not occuring.

(…next I will hopefully find an article stating beer is good for your health, and is actually non-habit forming)

4 Likes

Agreed… my doc never blinked an eye at mine due to level of overall fitness and zero history of heart disease along with no other markers. I’m sure there’s a tipping point. Of course these days I pay attention to everything.

1 Like

Yep I think wither this fall or early next year I will look into calcium score

1 Like

THIS. I have read several studies claiming that cholesterol in and of itself doesn’t mean much, but rather accompanying factors such as inflammation (and some others I can’t remember) are more problematic, but the doctors still scare you if it is high.

3 Likes

Same with my triglycerides.

2 Likes

Also, Did anybody look at the picture and say “Is that James Hatfield from Metallica”? :love_you_gesture:t3:

A lot of things they make people think are bad to prescribe meds.

Exactly!!! Tails wagging the dog

My old TRT doc, Dr. John Crisler, one time told me my cholesterol was WAY too low at 120 total. This was back in 2006. He wanted it increased, and maintained that for me, something on the order of 160 was necessary for overall health. Was the first time I ever heard that low cholesterol could be a bad thing.

2 Likes

It’s cool how much that dude impacted people even now, posthumous.

2 Likes